Sunday, May 18, 2014

James and the Hundred Great White Sharks

Wow!  Sharks and more sharks!  Some over 13' long!  Today, Monday May 12th James and I headed out on his bucket list: to go cage diving with the Great White Sharks. I had heard that it was not uncommon to have a trip cancelled for bad weather, or to have a trip without seeing any sharks. Well, that didn't happen. We had about 100 encounters in 2 1/2 hours. Up close. One came by when I was in the water, it turned away from the bait, looked directly at me, swam a bit toward me, then at about 5' away, it turned and swam away!  This blog won't let me post videos!  So I will have to post to FB one of them then add a link here for the rest.

The most amazing thing of the day happened near the end when a 10' GWS crashed into the cage, knocked open a section designed for use by professional photographers, and got about 3' of its length IN THE CAGE with its nose shoved into an Irish journalist's stomach. It was upside down and locked in place so it couldn't bite. James was running video from just overhead so we will surely be posting links to that everywhere when he wakes up.  The Captain said he'd been doing this 22 years and had never seen a shark get in a cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment